Below you will find a list of testable science questions. They are only a guide to help you create a testable question for your science fair project. Students may also choose to display a science related activity (i.e. creating a model or demonstration), which may be a little easier, especially for students in the lower grades. Our science fair is NOT a competition and every student is encouraged to participate!
Have you ever wondered…
- Does the type of liquid affect how fast a frozen cube melts?
- Does the flavor/color of ice cream/popsicle affect how fast the ice cream/popsicle melts?
- How does the temperature of water affect the time it takes to freeze into ice cubes?
- Does the type of liquid (water, milk, juice, soda) given to a plant affect its growth?
- Does the type of light (or color of light) affect plant growth?
- Does changing the size of a paper airplane affect how far it flies?
- Does the brand of detergent affect how thoroughly it gets a grass stain out?
- Does a no name stain remover work just as well as a brand name?
- Do ants prefer sugar or cheese?
- Do mint leaves repel ants?
- Do different brands of batteries last longer than others?
- Which antacid is the most effective in neutralizing an acid?
- What materials provide the best insulation?
- Will more air inside a basketball make it bounce higher?
- How does the temperature of a tennis ball affect the height of its bounce?
- Does a ball roll farther on grass or dirt?
- How does the air pressure of a soccer ball affect how far it travels when kicked?
- Which brand of popcorn leaves the fewest unpopped kernels?
- Do different types of apples have the same number of seeds?
- Does the flavor of gelatin affect the amount of time it takes to set?
- Which type of bread turns moldy first: store bought or bakery bread?
- How does temperature affect the growth of mold?
- Which can support more weight: paper or plastic grocery bags?
- What brand of trash bag can withstand the most weight before ripping?
- What brand of paper towel is most absorbent?
- Does the color of a shirt affect the amount of heat it absorbs?
- Which stays fresher longer: organic or non-organic fruit?
- In a blind taste test, can people tell the difference between bottled water and tap water?
- How does caffeine affect people’s heart rate?
- Which kind of gum keeps its flavor longer: sugar free or regular?
- What solvents will remove permanent marker?
After you have chosen your topic/question, use the Scientific Method to answer the question by making observations and doing experiments. Present your findings on a display board and share what you learned.
Every project must be clearly labeled with the student’s name and room number, AND a submission form must be attached to it! Need a submission form? Download it here.
Need more ideas or information?
Check out our Science board on Pinterest at www.pinterest.com/appersonpta
Science Bob: https://sciencebob.com/category/science-fair-ideas/
Science Fair Project Ideas: http://www.education.com/science-fair/
Science Buddies: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml?From=tab
All Science Fair Projects: http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/