Apperson Elementary School
September 17-28, 2018
Sponsor a Read-a-thoner!
Click here to make a donation via PayPal!
Send an email to friends and family to ask for their support!
Click here for an email template!
We are excited to announce our annual Read-a-thon! This is a fun event to encourage kids to read and build literacy skills while also raising money for the Apperson PTA without any selling. 100% of the proceeds go straight to the PTA to support our mission of benefiting all students at Apperson.
Here’s how it works:
- This year’s Read-a-thon will run from September 17 through September 28.
- Before it starts, students ask for pledges (either a flat donation or a donation per minute read) from family and friends. Use the Pledge Form to record the pledges. Cash and checks payable to Apperson PTA will be accepted, as well as credit card payments through our website. This can be especially convenient for out of town sponsors; visit http://www.appersonpta.com/readathon-email-template for an email template. (Don’t forget that donations may be tax deductible!)
- Once the Read-a-thon starts, students should read, read, read as much as they can! See below for what reading counts. They can keep track of how many minutes they’ve read each day on the Reading Tracker; parents must sign the sheet at the end. No guessing or rounding up minutes; please use a clock or timer and be honest, so this can be fair and fun for everyone!
- After the Read-a-thon ends, collect any remaining pledges and turn them in with your Pledge Form and Reading Tracker by Wednesday, October 3, 2018.
What reading counts?
- Anything before September 17 or after September 28 does not count. (Don’t forget, our Fall Book Fair is the week before, so you may want to save any new books you get from the Book Fair until the Read-a-thon starts!)
- Reading during class time does not count, but reading during recess or lunch does count!
- For younger students, being read to by someone else does count.
- Reading aloud to someone else (or a pet or stuffed animal) does count. If that person is also participating in the Read-a-thon, it counts for both of you!
- Reading something assigned as homework does count.
- Reading instead of doing your homework or your chores does not count.
- There is no school on Wednesday, September 19; reading on that day counts for DOUBLE MINUTES!
Prizes! In order to be eligible for a prize, students must turn in a completed Reading Tracker, Pledge Form, and all collected pledges (including online pledges) by Wednesday, October 3, 2018.
- Every student who participates gets a Read-a-thon Tiger Tag!
- Every student who reads at least the suggested goal for his/her grade (see the Reading Tracker) will be entered into a raffle for wonderful bookstore gifts and prizes!
- For each classroom, the students with the most pledges collected and the most minutes read will receive exclusive Reader Leader Tiger Tags!
Pledges turned in after October 3 will be gratefully accepted but unfortunately will not be eligible for prizes.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the Pledge Form and Reading Tracker here.